Cob: Earthquake.

John Fordice otherfish at home.com
Fri Oct 20 15:31:08 CDT 2000

Dear Itlone,
I was not meaning to slam Adobe.  I did not mean to imply that adobe
buildings are necessarily doomed to fail in an earthquake per se.  I did
mean that as a class of earth walled buildings which have failed in
earthquakes, adobe structures are probably by far the most numerous &
hence the most readily available resource by which to understand the
conditions under which earth walled buildings will fail in an
earthquake.  It is sad but true that many people have lost their lives
in the collapse of adobe buildings in many parts of the world.

The Getty study found that most of the adobe buildings in California
which were studied had experienced damage due to being in an earthquake.
 The fact that a particular adobe structure did not fail in a particular
earthquake does not mean that it was therefore not damaged.  Many of the
studied buildings sustained cracking, but remained standing.  This is
addressed in my previous posting in the paragraph on wall ratios.  The
good news is that those buildings did not fail.  The bad news is that
they were in fact damaged & hence liable to increased damage & more
prone to failure when the next earthquake comes.

I'm not sure of what a comparison of the magnitude of earthquake forces
in Arizona & California & other parts of the world would yield.  A more
accurate comparison might shed light on why Arizona adobes have
apparently not been thus damaged.  Also, a better knowledge of exactly
how the Arizona buildings are / were constructed in both the brick and
slurry methods would be very worthwhile & might also further clarify the
situation you describe.
Can you illucidate more ?

john fordice