Cob: cob/strawbale combo and devil grass questions

artlady artlady at azstarnet.com
Tue Oct 24 03:48:10 CDT 2000

>From Arizona: Has devil grass rhizome/roots been tried as a straw
substitute in cob houses? I've been hanging weeded grass on fences to
dry it to death before composting it but it's hard to kill. If it has
the right properties, could you use it fresh and expect it to die as the
cob dries out?
When I move my compost and garden soil to my new land, I need to kill
the "devil grass" roots without harming earth worms and friendly
bacteria. We don't have "devil grass" out there and I don't want to
introduce it. I was thinking of spreading batches of soil on tarps in
the sun, what, maybe 2" thick but that may not kill it. Or I guess I
could sift just the best compost, recompost it out there until I've
weeded it out before introducing it into the garden area. Any
suggestions on a faster/less labor intensive way?

I hope to do a strawbale/cob combination with the strawbale's insulative
advantages on the shade side and because strawbale might be faster to
construct.  Any advice on connecting them to each other and the roof?  I
can't decide on the best roof. I have yet to attend workshops described
on my website for Vaulted Straw Bale, but I love the sample photo with
it's cob front: http://www.imagegypsy.com/sbvault.htm
Sandy Rice