Cob: Using this list.

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Wed Nov 1 19:25:51 CST 2000

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Shawn Honeychurch wrote:

> Hi All;
>
> Is it my imagination or do email replies to this list go to the specific
> person and not the list in general?
>
> What is the default?
>
> Shawn

Emails that you receive from this list will be "From" the person who sent
the message to the list.  What happens when you reply depends on the email
program you use and how it is configured, though the default will
generally be either to just reply to the person who sent the message to
the list, or to reply to "ALL" (both the person who sent the email and
to the list).  Whenever you reply to a message from the list, if you want
the reply to go to the list you should select "reply to all" or whatever
the equivalent is in your mail program.

To head off a discussion of the way the list operates which we have
already had  :-)  . . .

Some lists are configured to operate in a different manner (replies always
going to the list), though there is no real standard.  I used to run the
list in that manner, but for a variety of reasons (including technical
problems with the other approach, and an increasing number of postings to
the list which were intended only for one person), I switched the list to
it's current setup.  If anyone wishes to discuss it with me, you are
welcome to do so by emailing me privately, but to save you time, you
should be warned that I am not going to change this aspect of how the list
operates.