Cob: RE: RE: Posts embedded in cob

jamie.ayres at m2.com jamie.ayres at m2.com
Fri Nov 3 11:14:05 CST 2000

Hiya,

I just want to clarify this for myself...

What you are saying is that cob walls needs no damp proof course as long
as the base of the walls are made of some form of cement/stone. This
should be high enough to prevent the splashback from ground level reaching
the cob level. The base should not be completely even and smooth on top
but should be rough and uneven to allow the cob to bind well with it.
Should the internal floor also be up to the level of the cob? Being in the
UK means that the house will have to withstand pretty continuous rain at
some times so how high would anyone sugest the floro should be to avoid
dampness creeping in?

The earthern floor can have some kind of damp course and perhaps an
insulation layer as well? Has anyone added underfloor heating to a cob
house?

Am I also correct in saying that the walls, in theory at least, need no
additional insulation and that they are strong enough to support a two
story building and roof with no further timber framing (given that the
size of the rooms will be sensible... less than 12 feet across).

Is this correct :o)

Sorry for all the questions!

Jay

"Firstbrook, Will" <wfirstb1 at wcb.bc.ca>