Cob: wall cracks

Christopher Greenslade Chris at vicgreen.fsbusiness.co.uk
Mon Nov 6 13:33:16 CST 2000

I agree totally with the comments already voiced.You will never stop
cracking totally but by trying to control the drying process you can help to
reduce it.
This can be obtained by the amount of water in the mix, too much clay, not
mixed correctly or drying too quick by the sun / wind.
When lime rendering we use both polythene and wet hessin to reduce shrinkage
/ excessive drying.
It should be remembered even when using the hessin etc.,small cracks can
still appear but generally have no detrimental affect.

Chris Greenslade