Cob: Cob iron smelting furnace?

Mike Swink mswink at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 13 19:02:00 CST 2000

Thought this worth a look. It shows earthern furnace.
In north ga I saw a smelter like this that had bellows and used GREEN OAK. after it burning pretty goood though.

During the summer 2000 field season new experimental archaeology work was
carried out near the excavated Broch at Scatness. The iron smelting was
highly successful producing excellent blooms. Some of the highlights of
this work are shown below.
http://www.brad.ac.uk/acad/archsci/field_proj/scat_smelting/