Cob: building codes

Louis louis at sisp.net
Mon Dec 18 11:56:49 CST 2000

Generally speaking, areas of low population density and/or low income, are
the ones with minimum codes.  In other words, the places where no one wants
to live!  Charmaine was compiling a list of such places and she'll probably
pipe up soon.  But you've got to recognize these things are always
changing--usually for the worse.

People on this list have said in the past, that the cob houses that have
survived  in England, tend to have massively thick walls, from 3-6 feet
thick?  No one knows, how many other cob houses have just crumbled away
over the centuries.  Many have a fairly high plinth--the stone base.  Of
the pictures on the web I've seen, I haven't noticed any plinths--in modern
cob houses.  I know I would certainly want one, to prevent the base from
eroding away.
--Louis