Cob: Re: Cob wall thickness

Mike Wye mike at mikewye.co.uk
Tue Dec 19 04:32:29 CST 2000

Cob dwellings in England have walls typically 2ft6" to 3 feet thick maximum
at the base, sometimes tapering in to 2ft- 2ft6" thick at roof level. With
mass formed cob without shuttering, they typically built up to 13ft to the
eaves and as the dwellings were thatched they didn't have to carry excessive
roof weight and this wall thickness was sufficient. Any thicker walls would
have been a waste of cob and labour. Where the cob walls were built by being
shuttered they often built higher and thinner walls as they were using a
drier mix and could compress the cob more between the shuttering. The height
of the stone plinth is typically 2-3 ft to reduce erosion and reduce rising
damp problems but many cob dwellings survive today that have minimal
foundations and plinths of less than a foot. There are over 20,000 cob
buildings existing in Devon County alone.
Mike