Cob: outdoor plaster >lime render

Charmaine R Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Fri Jan 19 12:13:20 CST 2001

Hi you could do first a clay  plaster with cow/horse manure in it, this
will help. If you do a simple lime plaster the bench will be pretty darn
white unless you add a lot of dark earth /clay for pigment. I have done
this and it can work. be sure to design a drain groove on the seat of
the bench, near both sides/arms so water will naturally drain off..pour
a bucket of water onto the bench and see how the water leaves, or wher
it puddles.

Lime plaster is a ration of 1:3::1/2 one lime, 3 sharp sand, 1/2 more or
less of chopped fiber or hair (goat)

you can see recipes for renders and limewashes at:

http://www.northcoast.com/~tms/render.html

render is plaster for exteriors.  When you have clay in the lime it also
sets up harder and makes a type of Roman cement.

the bench will erode over years, but can be re plastered and patched.

a bag of hydrated lime 50# sack is $8.00 approx, soak in cold clean
water (covering lime) 48-72 hours min, then add to sand , add fiber and
mix well for 20 minutes, let set in bucket 48 hours then use as plaster,
add very little water to temper.

Thanks, and email me with any questions.

Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
PO Box 6985, Eureka CA 95502
707-441-1632
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
email: books at dirtcheapbuilder.com
PS: visit the Good Used Books page too at:
http://www.northcoast.com/~tms/used.html