Cob: Water resistsnt plasters

pat@cobworks pat at cobworks.com
Sun Jan 21 01:02:53 CST 2001

I have been experimenting with different plasters for unprotected cob
walls and here's what I've found.  When I slaked the lime I mixed linseed
oil in the dry mixture before adding water.  I then let this lime putty
sit for a minimum of three months and then mixed 1 part lime with three
parts finely sifted sand.  This was then applied over a cob shower.  So
far it seems to be holding up.  I also made some test samples which have
been sitting outside all winter.  The lime plaster is holding up very
well as is the clay/manure/linseed oil plaster.  Come spring I will give
a full report of everything I tried.

                                            Patrick on Mayne