Cob: Water resistsnt plasters

Charmaine R Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Mon Jan 22 18:53:50 CST 2001

I'm thinking, too, if the sealent doesn't really last too long (I'm into
low/no
maintenance), rather than recoating it every coupla years or so, maybe
it would sort
of erode into a packed earth type of surface, which would be ok too.  I
don't imagine
anything would have much luck growing in it!
Also does anyone have a recipe for "roman cement"?  that might be a
better idea...
---
PeaceLoveLightLifeBeautyTruth
W.

Roman cement is lime with clay.  Crushed red bricks, volcanic ash, and
even just good clay soil will harden well.  1:1:3 should
work...lime:clay:sand.

the lime putty, and the wet clay will "sieze" up when mixed and get very
thick..this is a normal reaction. test various quantities to see which
sets up best.

I made thick garden bowls of lime, clay, shredded paper/sawdust
together, and left outside. the bowl is holding water just fine, but
unless you make a perfect mix for your squares they could crumble on the
edges, or by foot pressure.

check out the Agstone material made by John Stahl..its in an article
online he builds outdoor STEPS with the stuff..been there 3 years.

http://www.northcoast.com/~tms/cobwood.html

Thanks, and email me with any questions.

Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
PO Box 6985, Eureka CA 95502
707-441-1632
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
email: books at dirtcheapbuilder.com
PS: visit the Good Used Books page too at:
http://www.northcoast.com/~tms/used.html

If you limewash your floor after is will help. If you make squares in
place, and leave 1/2 or more between squares you can slight curve the
tiles so water runs off better.

they will erode even with the lime if exposed to drving rains.

email: books at dirtcheapbuilder.com