Cob: Glass Blocks/Bricks

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Thu Feb 1 14:06:06 CST 2001

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Couch, Valerie wrote:

> Hi All,
> Has anyone tried using glass blocks/brick in a non-loadbearing cob
> situation?
>
> Regards,
> Valerie Couch

Are you asking if there are any problems with using glass blocks/bricks
embedded in the cob?  If so, the answer is no.  While I have not used
glass blocks/bricks, I have embedded unprotected single pane glass into
cob, you have to build up slowly to allow the cob to dry and support the
layers which follow, so the glass doesn't end up bearing the weight.  I
have also done a large window out of glass jars in a cob wall.  The jars
are laid on their sides, closely stacked and mortared together with a
thin layer of cob.