Cob: Fwd: Laura

Laura Guldin adobe50 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 14 19:34:56 CST 2001

<P>Any useful input, send to Sara.</P>
<P>I had a feeling that labor wasn't an issue . Still enthusiastic outside help can be quite a boost .</P>
<P>And El Salvador just got hit again.<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: "SARA STOWELL" <SARA at SHARE-ELSALVADOR.ORG>
<DIV></DIV>>To: <ADOBE50 at HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Laura
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 17:17:49 -0600
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>Thank you for your e-mail. Right now, most of our partners are debating about what types of homes to build in the immediate crisis (the rainy season starts in 4 months) and what type of housing to advocate for in the long term that will be dignified, and flood and earthquake resistant.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>This earthquake brought down most of the adobe houses in the areas where they were prolific - as many 200 year old homes as 2 year old homes, so adobe is being questioned, at least for this type of earthquake.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>If you have specific housing design suggestions that I could share with folks, I certainly will. In terms of a group coming to build, SHARE doesn´t do work brigades for two reasons: one is our capacity to host them, and the other is that usually labor is not what is missing - most families build or do significant work on their own homes. The problems are usually more related to cash flow, design etc.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>Again, design prototypes would be most helpful for the debate currently taking place here.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>Thanks so much for your inquiry and your willingness to help out. If I hear of anyone doing work brigades, I will pass your name along!
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>Sara Stowell
<DIV></DIV>>SHARE Director, El Salvador