Cob: Decorating

charly hightower hightoweraudio at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 15 12:14:15 CST 2001

I haven't yet built a whole house yet, only a small garden/guest house,
which has a kitchenette/potting sink.  I tried to decorate with mostly
natural objects--dried herbs and flowers made into wreaths.  I also used a
lot of art glass and "found" colored glass objects in the window sills,
which looks beautiful. I have heard that limewash can be tinted using
organic dry pigments; however, I've only made a pale terra cotta color using
a powdered glaze from a pottery supply store.

In the kitchenette area, I do not have installed cabinets, but rather
cubbyholes and built in shelving, which are part of the structure.  I also
purchased (cheaply) at auction, some older freestanding cabinets that were
taken out of an old house, and basically have pushed them up against the
wall, shimming where needed to make them level, then added new trim to the
bottoms to hide the shims.  The multiple layers of peeling paint on the
cabinets just add to the charm.  My kids call it the "Fairytale House".
Most important, I feel pretty good about the cabinets, because I've recycled
something that may have gone to waste otherwise, and they didn't cost me a
fortune.

All in all, the best advise I would give is to surround yourself with that
which makes you happy, and not to worry about "decoration", per se.
I believe that if one is comfortable with their surroundings, others will be
comfortable and happy to be in your surroundings with you. Good Luck !

Peace be with you! Charli Hightower