Cob: Decorating, Lime Q's

Charmaine R Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Fri Feb 16 02:03:01 CST 2001

Charmaine . . .Questions about lime wash.   What type of lime can you
use? Can you use gardeners lime for this useor do I need builders lime?
>>>Gardener's or aglime is just ground limestone and is inert..use
builders or masons lime type N or S

Also, is it feasible to lime wash bare wooden floors and either put a
linseed  oil or Danish oil buff on it or seal it as you would paint with
an
environmentally sound product?  I have read that lime putty needs to
cure
for 3 - 12 months before adding water to make it a lime wash or it will
flake.

>> I dont think this is true, but maybe they mean just soaking the lime
a long time before using the lime water.  longer is always better.  And
limewash should be put on so thin it's invisible for the first coat,
then it turns opaque. Thick will flake, thats why several thin coats are
used.

>> I will check on this, but hardwood floors may not absorb much
lime,and not give you the result you want..ie white floors?

Is this the case and if so what if you sealed it...(in the case of a
wood floor).
>>I dont understand.
Can you lime plaster on top of regular gypsum plaster?  Or does it need
to adhere to a lathe?

>>You can plaster over real gypsum plaster, and over the spackle stuff
too. Just mist it first. I just did as posted in an email..direct to
greenbard, and so far so good. So have others.

Lastly, what in the world is slaked lime?
>> haha..this one always confuses everyone! Slaked means quicklime which
has been  processed ( usually commercially)  in water...once it is
slaked it is Hydrated. and becomes a dry powder..so the consumer (you)
are only SOAKING it in water to make putty.

Most people cant get quicklime, which is prolly good as mis handling can
cause explosion/fire and burned skin

hope this helps

Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
PO Box 6985, Eureka CA 95502