Cob: Ceramic houses, cob saunas and kilns

Jeff S. jlsmeed at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 21 23:17:16 CST 2001

Hi all,  I'm new to the list so, I hope you'll bear
with me.  I read through the arcives and they
triggered some ideas I'd like to bounce around.

I read a book on Ceramic Houses, available on Amazon,
where they built a house using adobe with a clay/sand
plaster and then fired the house to cone 06, which I
believe to be about 1800 F.  Pretty amazing, they even
glazed the inside with low fire glaze.  So, that got
me to thinking that it would be kind of nice to be
able to fire a house, but, why not just do a room?  It
would take a lot less heat to do and may be feasable.
So, if a room where possible, why not a sauna.
Glazing could make a durable water tight surface.
Anyway, some rough ideas, don't even know what they'd
look like....yet!  Ha!

I'm also an avid potter and enjoy throwing and firing.
 I'd like to know if it'd be possible to build a wood
fired kiln out of cob?

Take care,
Jeff