Cob: what about...............

IBXeri at aol.com IBXeri at aol.com
Sat Mar 3 15:38:04 CST 2001

        Haven't built with cob yet but have a question.

         Would there be disadvantages to building  a cob wall in  an
interlocking  series of  hollow colums with say a 4' diameter?
          My thought is that if it were double rowed then the outside walls
would be  about 8' plus in thickness and the trapped air  would help
insulate.I was also thinking that  the series of interlocking colums would be
more stable just like a sheet of paper cannot stand on edge until the top and
bottom are connected.
          Would the required thickness of the wall leave no hollow space?What
if the diameter were larger?Probably creating a lot more work for dubious
gain.Still I would appreciate any feedback.Thanks.