Cob: Very succulent free shed

TICKLETOWN at aol.com TICKLETOWN at aol.com
Fri Mar 16 10:29:21 CST 2001

 I've been reading this list for a while now - I asked my daughter whose
computer I use to switch here from the strawbale list, which I enjoyed but
wasn't into as much as cob. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about
building sustainably using onsite materials. I've read a few books (thank
goddess for inter-library loans) and tried a little tiny cobbing.
 After three years of tenting on site in the summer while we worked, I
finally moved into my cosy little half-underground home this fall. When I
planned my home I knew nothing about cob or I definately would have gone in
that direction. I opted for a very small, dug out of a southern slope
u-shaped room with glass on the south and west. We had a horrible time with
the roof since I had insisted on free form curved walls made using Scott &
Helen Nearings' stone building techniques. I finally had to give in and go
with a (somewhat) conventional timber framed living roof. My home is very
lovely but I feel bad about the portland I used in the walls and some of the
other non-sustainable downright nasty materials (waterproof roofing material,
nails, even the small bulldozer and back-hoe). Seems that as I started
building I started learning and the more I read about natural building
methods the more radical I became. I've been fantasizing about an all natural
little cob house for quite a while and imagine my surprise when I actually
SAW it. Thanks Shannon. I'm totally empowered and motivated to finish my own
little burrow now and REALLY get into some dirt! And sticks and stones and
grasses. I'm eager to see how your roof turns out - I didn't feel able to do
thatch (thought you had to have the right grasses and tons of know-how)  but
now I'm wondering. What about cattails? Also your jar windows were neat. In
fact the whole little shed looks downright SUCCULENT. Keep us posted,

                      Lois