Cob: Glass Blocks/Bricks

Rosemary Lyndall Wemm lyndall at wemm.org
Fri Mar 16 18:58:11 CST 2001

Thanks, Shannon.

The whole thing looks cute ;-)  One suggestion for next time around  - use
Becky Bee's suggestion for jar windows:  Tape two same type jars together to
form a dirt-tight seal.  Paint or lime-wash the outside walls of the jars
white so that the cob doesn't darken them and the light shines through them
better.  [Leave the ends clear, of course.]  Then you'll only need to wash
the outside ends after you've cobbed them in place.

You could try out my earlier idea of creating glass jar spaces by first
cobbing around bits of large size polypipe. When the cob shrinks, pull them
out and replace then with glass jars set in fresh cob.

Another idea is to color the ends of your glass jars with the craft paints
used for fake stained glass windows.

When I get my workshop set up [by next month, I think] I am going to
continue my experiments with methods of cutting glass bottles.  My current
idea is to clamp a power drill in a vice, put a flat pad in the chuck,
attach [superglue?]a bottle cap to the flat pad, screw glass bottles into
the lid, support the bottles in a mitre box, attach a glass/ceramic "blade"
to a hack saw, rest the hack saw in the ninety degree angle slot of the
mitre box [with the bottle set at the right length], turn on the drill to
low speed, put gentle pressure on the hack saw and wait until the bottle is
sawed neatly through...   I'll let you know if it works in a couple of
months.

Meanwhile,

is your creation open to the cob-mudding public?
 if so, where can it be viewed?
 and for what price?
 in what commodity?

- Rosemary LW