Cob: cob planters

crtaylor tms at northcoast.com
Sat Apr 7 11:44:04 CDT 2001

>      Hi,  We are planning on building a school grounds garden with large
>planters made from cob. We are thinking cob would be better than wood (for
>all  the obvious reasons) but have no experience comparing it. We are in
>Alberta, so  have all the weather extremes, from -40 C to +35C, rain,
>wind, snow etc. I think  if we incorporate drainage holes into the bottom
>of the planter, water build up  inside won't be too much of a problem.
>However, because much of the info out  there is on houses, I'm not too
>sure. Do you have any suggestions/ advice where to look?    Thanks much,
>Rebecca

+++

Rebeca , you may want to consider a TufaStone version of a cob-like
material that can hold water better without degrading.  I have been mixing
lime, clay and sand with some chopped grass fiber, and even used shredded
newspaper. the end result is I have made garden pottery which is hard as
stone, and imprevious to water. One bowl has sat outside for almost a year,
filling up frequently, and it is simply paper, clay and lime.  Clay and
lime together can make a strong "Roman cement" which is very natural, as it
has no portland cement in it.

You would still need drainage holes, but by making a simple form works to
pour in a mix you can shape the planter boxes any way you want. You could
also add a gaging of chicken or aviary wire to support a wider wall, so if
yiu iuntend to sit on the edge while panting or weeding it would hold up.

hope this helps

Charmaine R. Taylor
Taylor Publishing
PO Box 6985, Eureka CA 95502