Cob: Re: garden sculpture

storm storm at ctelco.net
Sun Apr 15 01:24:01 CDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: susie osler <sosler at web.net>
To: <coblist at deatech.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2001 8:27 PM
Subject: Cob: garden sculpture

> hi all,
>
> someone recently posted that they have made garden planters with lime,
> clay, sand and shredded newspaper that have stood up to water contact.  i
> am wondering if this lime mixture is safe for kids to handle (and sculpt
> larger garden ornaments) from.  also, what percentage of lime to clay to
> sand to paper,etc. would you recommend???
>
> thanks, and hope everyone has a great cobbing year!
>
> susie
Hi Susie, I've worked with lime plaster, 3-1 sand to lime putty ratio. This
makes an extremely durable and workable plaster. You could probably
experiment with how much fiber(newspaper) you want to add.  The problem with
lime is that it is very caustic, so that you need to have eye protection,
gloves, etc. to try to keep it off your body or wash immediately after
contact or you can get skin burns. For this reason it is obviously not good
for kids to use. Sincerely Anikke Storm