Cob: Re: we're not in Kansas anymore...

Douglas Ketler Scheffer douglas at skyweb.net
Wed Apr 18 14:20:08 CDT 2001

Being a man, I have never taken one of Becky's workshops and I can
not comment on the "gender specific" building knowledge that she may
or may not impart to her students. Furthermore, I am not aware of any
aspect of cob building that is gender specific. Becky has written a
wonderful instruction book on Cob building, but there is no mention
of any building tasks that would be performed better by one gender
over another.

I believe the exclusion of men from such workshops could be the
result of a centuries old, male dominated building industry that has
resulted in some pretty horrifying mutations of homes and
communities. Men also have a seemingly biological propensity to take
over physical labor in the presence of a woman. And... as long as I
am generalizing about men on the building site, they also have a
tendency to drink beer, belch with out saying "excuse me," they over
indulge in using noisy power tools and toxic chemicals, they spew
profanities, whistle at woman and make lewd cat calls, not to mention
their general unconsciousness of the delicate balance existing in
nature, and their supposed inability to express true emotions. Over
all we are can be "generalized" as some pretty ill-mannered beasts.

You would think there would be a heightened level of consciousness by
those of us participating in a movement like natural building. You
would think such a movement would attract men, women, and children of
all ages and races who would simply want to fulfill a humble and
basic desire for living simply in a natural environment and finding
peace with themselves and their neighbors. You would also think the
people in this movement would want to foster an environment of mutual
respect and shared responsibility regardless of ones gender, to
create an example of equality where we attempt to overcome the
destructive separatist patterns that got us in this social mess in
the first place. But don't think that, because you will be
generalizing an entire group of people much like those who
discriminate against someone interested in natural building because
of their gender.

The truth is there is no equality in the act of role reversal, it is
simply the other side of the same ugly coin. True empowerment can
only thrive when there are adversities to overcome, and that requires
an environment diversity. After all, we would not be natural builders
if their were not synthetic builders out there to motivate us.

The natural act of building, creating, nurturing, and individual
expression does not know the boundaries of gender, race or age until
they are manifested within ones self.

I am not suggesting there is the possibility of utopian society but
lets at least at least make an effort to accomplish a better way then
simply reversing the age old models passed on to us.

However, I could be wrong about all of this... after all I am a man.

Douglas