Cob: Cob/light clay hybrid

Charmaine R Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Wed Apr 18 16:09:59 CDT 2001

Yes Karen versions of this have been done.  Frank Andresen, German
builder, showed me dozens of photos of his work which is infill panles
of sawdust clay...he has been working on this stuff for years, and it's
big overseas. Cob is laborious, and if you want insulation a regular cob
wall, with a liner inside of lgiht straw clay may work. ALso Ken Kern of
OB fame wrote about putting lots of woodchips and sawdust between walls
as free insulation, cob is idea becuase it won't burn.

Bot he and I have made bricvks of sawdust/straw/clay ( I use lime too)
to  create lightweight insulated bricks.

Panels of premade  vesion of earth/straw/sawdust/lime and other fiber
ahave been made too, I experiment with this stuff because it is so easy
to work with.

hope this helps   Mooseprints booklet by Bob Laporte teaches the wall
infill method.  The tamping is not so hard it would ever break a cob
wall. so no issues there.

Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
PO Box 6985, Eureka CA 95502
707-441-1632