Cob: rock core cob wall

ken skeen kenskeen at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 19 17:31:52 CDT 2001

I've a bunch of rock and was thinking of constructing a round cob structure
with a rock core.  I'd make 2 perimeters of heavy-guage wire fencing -
perhaps 2 to 3 feet apart and fill the interior with rubble.  Cross wire
ties would be added every 8 inches or so to keep the fence from bowing out.
I've see highway depts. do this sort of thing for retaining walls.  After I
achieved height with this wall, I'd cob the interior and exterior with say
2-4 inches of cob.  My goal with this structure is to not use concrete and
make use of the rock resource.  When the building's life-span completes, I'd
(or somebody) would just recycle the wire and let the rest go back to the
earth.  I'm thinkin the structure would also be somewhat earthquake
resistant.  I'm curious what sort of insulation value a cob encased rubble
wall would provide.  My main concern is that the wire would rust and the
wall would fail.  I plan on giving this a shot at some point and would
appreciate any comments.