Cob: Cob/light clay hybrid

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Fri Apr 20 17:31:02 CDT 2001

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Firstbrook, Will wrote:

[snip]
> addition to my strawbale house utilizing light clay & cob. Between the
> structural columns stretch some chicken wire and fill it with light clay.
> Letting the light clay air dry till it is sticky, not soaking wet, before
> stuffing the wire forms. Similar to letting wet cob dry out a bit, if it is
[snip]

Actually, this is how it is supposed to be done, the light clay mix (also
often known as straw-clay, leichtlehm, or leichtlehmbau) should be allowed
to dry until it is almost completely dry (just barely tacky) before
ramming it into the forms (assuming that you were using forms to make
panels).  Done correctly, you can remove the forms almost immediately and
it will hold together.  For those of you interested in this technique, you
can use the search link on the coblist home page at:

    http://www.deatech.com/natural/coblist/

and enter the above names individually into the search form to get a
number of postings on this technique.