Cob: Western Canadian (Vancouver Island) cob housing

drhelp drhelp at home.com
Wed Apr 25 18:40:07 CDT 2001

I'm brand new to the list and interested to visit cob housing/buildings on
Vancouver Island, in British Columbia. I'm now in contact with Mayne Island
cob builders , but does anyone know of others, on Vancouver Island? If you
do, and it's more appropriate to e me off-list, please do so. I've done a
couple of searches to look for same, with poor results.

I think cob building is ideal for housing for people with extremely limited
income. I have budget restricionts, as maybe many have, so that it's a worry
to contemplate going into the last 1/3 of my life without self-sufficiency.
Housing is one of the prime concerns, and I still have a child at home for a
few years, with costs of living having increased notably where I live.
Finding the land, in B.C. is not so hard as it might be in some other
places, but building environmentally suitable, aesthetically pleasing, safe,
secure, AFFORDABLE housing is the thing. I suspect cob housing is an answer.

Has anyone on the list got contacts who have built housing of cob in B.C.,
and know the ways to satisfy building code requirements here? Thanks, Diana
in Victoria, B.C.