Cob: prewfab clay panels

Charmaine R Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Wed May 23 14:44:18 CDT 2001

Hi Harriet. There is a big article on clay and fiber embedded panels in
the 1993-1997 issue of Joiner's Quarterly. Written by Frank Andresen
German clay builder, it talks about testing laying sheets of jute
(burlap and other) fabric on a large flat table, then buttering with a
layer of clay-straw ( or sawdust) fiber, then next layer laid crosswise,
then more clay paste, about 8-10 layers I think..called "lehmbauplatte",
it is not commerically done as its too expensive, BUT the O Builder can
use their time to make them just fine.

JQ is put out  Fox Maple Scool of building in ME at 207-935-3720, the
back issue sells for $6.50 and it worht it. Frank wrote 3 articles over
a 5 year peiod,  "OMuddy CLay/...:, "Loam not Foam", and one on light
stray clay infill.

You can easily try this with some burlap or old potato sacks yourselft,
but the straw must be very fine, I  use sawdust for most of my
experiments and it works fine.

Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
PO Box 6985, Eureka CA 95502
707-441-1632