Cob: Barriers

Shalom Organics shalomorganics at telus.net
Fri May 25 11:26:02 CDT 2001

Dear Cobbers,
The importance of encouraging green-building is unquestionable. Unfortunately builders who look to alternatives are often confronted with a host of legal and regulatory barriers, and very few incentives.

I am a third year law student at the University of Victoria, on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. In conjunction with West Coast Environmental Law (a non-profit, public interest law shop based in Vancouver) I am working on a paper outlining barriers facing green builders, and suggesting solutions to facilitate better building practices. I would be interested in hearing your input as to barriers that you have faced (e.g. problems getting code approval, insurance problems etc.) and possible solutions you foresee.
My paper is aimed at being rather comprehensive, so feel free to think broadly. I will also be touching on a lack of positive incentives, such as tax breaks, for green building. Input from everywhere is welcome, but Canadian experience is particularly encouraged.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Take Care,
Rodney Wilts