Cob: RE: Re: Adobe/Cob maintenance (fwd)

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Fri Aug 3 12:01:49 CDT 2001

I assume this was meant for the list

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Subject: RE: Re: Adobe/Cob maintenance
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 08:55:18 -0400
From: Patrick Newberry <PNewberry at HFHI.org>
To: Shannon C. Dealy <dealy at deatech.com>

While my house is not yet finished yet (I have about 3 feet left on the
last wall!!!)
My family has been living in it now for year two and I can't see where
cob would
require any more maintenance than any other building, actually I'd say
less.

On the wall with lime there as been no errosion from splashing water, on
the pure cob walls
there are only a couple of spots that have had some very minor
(appreance only) errotion.

As far as the getting old part, heck the most you have to do with the
walls is put some more
plaster on it. The biggest problem you might have is you can't make or
carry large batches of
plaster, so just make small batches in a wheel barrow. I  mean if you're
too weak to lift up
a hand full of mud, then your more than likely too weak to paint your
stick home too!

Heck with mud, I just invite the grandkids over and we'd all have a
blast.
(by the way, I just became a grandpa on July 21, our first
grandchild...Carlos Kordayle Newberry!)

There must be more to the story??

Pat
gypsyfarm.