Cob: stucco question & malcolm X

Michael Saunby mike at chook.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 9 03:24:31 CDT 2001

> Actually I've read that if the stones are stacked properly (facing inward
and
> not outward) that they can bear the weight of a very heavy structure
> (including cob) without mortar altogether.  I'd check out a good book on
> stone stacking (masonry).

Quite so.  Though probably not common for cob houses, I expect 'ordinary'
mortar was more usual.  Indeed on this house the 19th century brick built
single storey extension still used ordinary mortar, i.e. sieved earth
(mostly clay here), between the bricks.  Sure this means that if you take
the roof off you can just pull the bricks apart with your hands, which was
what we did when a new roof was needed, and some other changes.  Hasn't
stopped it from standing for 150 years though, and of course it gives
slightly if the ground shifts.  Lime mortar was used for the 'pointing'.
Important that the walls are thick, brick and a half or two bricks (length)
would make sense, not one of these modern brick skins that even with modern
cement are probably more dangerous and will have a shorter life. Whether you
can actually get permission anywhere to actually build a brick or stone
structure just using damp earth to bond the materials I have no idea -
though once pointed who else would know?

Michael Saunby