Cob: a Q re: legality of building in northern New England

Nampsoscoke at aol.com Nampsoscoke at aol.com
Thu Aug 23 08:36:17 CDT 2001

Halloo the list,

I'm a "new" convert to the concept of cob building - actually, I've always
admired the English cottages that have stood the test of time so well.  I
would like to pose a question to those who have more experience than myself,
regarding building in New England.  Which states in this region are most
friendly to this style of building, and how does one "further the cause" as
it were, in states where there are no building codes specific to cob
construction?  It is my understanding from the research I have already done
that the only states friendly to this form of construction are AZ, OR and
possibly VT.  I am interested in building in ME or NH, and would like some
assistance in terms of how to proceed (how to plead my cause to the Code
Enforcement Office and prove stability/durability of materials used!) so that
I may in good conscience build a safe, creative, and _legal_ domicile.

Thanks in advance,

WJ