Cob: insulating walls

Harriet kapok at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 5 09:26:28 CDT 2001

Dear People,

A two-car cinderblock garage with 2x4 stud walls came with our newly
purchased house. It's to be my woodworking shop. I'm thinking of
insulating with straw clay from the inside. Attach movable forms and
tamp in the dressed straw? Anybody have good ideas?

How thick should I go for a warm wall? Say, R20?

Am also thinking of starting our building officials on straw-cob with
this application. I can do it secretly, as it's on the inside--but would
this be a good place to let them begin to be familiar with it? Lurking
problems that I'm not anticipating?

Harriet Hodges
1240 Forest Lawn
Salem, VA  24153