Cob: plasters/chopping straw

Jeanne Leimkuhler jleim at mail.bloomington.in.us
Thu Sep 6 13:26:35 CDT 2001

Steve Lewis Wrote:

>I am doing several adobe (call it cob for this crew!) plasters this
>fall ( on two adobe houses and a straw-bale)  On one (or both) adobe
>houses we need some chopped straw.   Does anyone have a good
>technique for chopping?  A chain saw on the edge of a bale, did not,
>surprisingly, yield much fine straw.

Steve,
I was just at a workshop where we needed chopped straw for plaster.
We built a make shift box in a corner of the building with plywood
and straw bales and then ran a lawn mower over straw in the box. Put
a piece of plywood on the bottom too. You have to keep pushing the
straw under the lawn mower to get it fine enough. It's not easy, but
it works. Good luck.

Jeanne