Cob: Re: Cob, Fiber/Clay &CLay Wall paint

Steve Lewis seaweedsteve at newmexico.com
Fri Sep 7 00:54:39 CDT 2001

Hey now.

> Steve the 2.8 is not verified lab results, but an estimate, and more
> clay will mean less R...not more. But I think the overall result will be
> good tho! keep experimenting...

Yes, somebody said cob is only at .5 but really the paper or dirt crete
should perform more like light clay  (or heavy straw!). Same idea, smaller
fibers.    Cob is near pure thermal mass really, it's adobe.    .  I did'nt
see any substantiation, it does sound within reason, depending, as you say
on the mix density.

Yes on clay paints!  Clay is so...dependable!  And cheap! It's everywhere.
I have not gotten good results yet with wheat paste or milk additives, but
clay works.   Your wall looks great!  I got a similar mottled look on my
interior adobe plaster using a smooth-trowelled <1/8" thick lime/clay
finish.   .

It was still very absorbant though;  this may be sacriligous here, but I
confess that on my own houses' interior clay/lime finish,  I rolled on an
acrylic sealer.  Not so different from Elmer's glue, really.    Acrylic
sealer is low toxic, water based, permeable and has great coverage on
smoothed surfaces.  It allows for a wall to be washed.   AFM markets a
version for the chemically sensitive.   I've used it on saltillo tile, but
on my wall I used "mason's select" (matte finish)  from Superdeck co.  One
gallon for two rooms.  Probably should recoat every couple.

Then again, paste wax performed well in my tests too!  I was just cheap,
lazy and not bent on 100% natural....

Steve