Cob: RE: sandy soil

Patrick Newberry PNewberry at HFHI.org
Tue Oct 2 08:45:11 CDT 2001

Hi Sara,

 I too have very sandy soil here in Mauk. As a result I have to bring
clay in to the building site. My soil mix, using the jar and water test
comes in
around 20 percent clay, sometimes as low as 10 percent. Now I have found
that one, using a lot of straw and juding based on the walls themselves
rather than test bricks that it's quite sturdy. My son backed our pickup
(not real hard, but hard enough) into one wall by accident and it
aborbed the
shock not problem-o

One advantage to the sandy soil is that the water does not tend to
puddle for very long. We have very heavy rains and with in a short
period of
time the water seeps down. I have used earthbags filled with the sandy
soil and cement and they have worked fine. I only go up about a little
less
than a foot before I switch to cob.

As far as  floor, tamping sand doesn't quite do as well as tamping a
more clay-ey soil.

What size are you going to build your emergency shelter?

Pat
http://www.gnat.net/~goshawk <http://www.gnat.net/~goshawk>