Cob: New to list (Cob)

E. McCreery ka_lanu at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 2 17:29:44 CDT 2001

Hi there all! I'm new to the cob list, and I have a few questions.
It seems wherever I go to do research on cob and other alternative building methods I see openings for crew members - but with required payment. Is there any possibility that someone (or a group of someones) may be building and just need a hand or two? I've been doing research for around 5 years, but alas I have little experience, and very little money.
I've been really hoping to just find a place to live and gain that experience, as I've been having trouble living where I am..
A brief synopsis on why:
I moved back in with my mother (in Richmond, VA) after a brief period of living on my own (in Seattle, WA), and we have many conflicts. She's more concerned about living the Better Homes & Gardens lifestyle complete with plastic Wal-Mart goodies than making a difference. This makes living here and "contributing" to the household in ways she finds acceptable (raking up leaves and bagging them to be taken to landfills) very difficult indeed.
So, back to the question.. I was wondering if there is any chance that I may find a place to help work on cob and/or gardens (botany, especially ethnobotany and permaculture is a passion of mine) in exchange for a place to live and a bit of food?
Anyone know if this has happened before or if anyone may be interested in this sort of arrangement?
Hopefully in the northern East Coast and Great Lakes areas, Virginia on up.
Elisa