Cob: Structural integrety

Ocean ocean at peacemaking.org
Thu Oct 4 03:14:42 CDT 2001

Nope, I don't think conducting tests on cob with a concrete envelope would
be a good thing, because:

1.) Concrete as an outer or inner layer will cause moisture to accumulate,
leading to rotting straw and ultimately failure of the wall.  This is widely
known and concrete is ill-advised as a coating for cob.

2.)  If cob enveloped with concrete DID pass "official" tests, then this
would likely set a precedent, thus leading folks to build "approved-of"
walls likely to fail over time.

A better option would be to test cob material w/o concrete coating (i.e. as
it is commonly built) and prove it has adequate sheer and compression
strength for load bearing walls.

Again, most building codes have a clause allowing an inspector to approve of
a building which "appears" adequately constructed even though not meeting
codes for "generally accepted building materials".

Ocean
Ahimsa Sanctuary
http://www.peacemaking.org