Cob: mixing cob/clay was: poor & new

Vicki and David Wicker macmastr at cswnet.com
Fri Oct 5 05:20:59 CDT 2001

Charmaine
I am considering the paper cob as an infill for a post and beam framed
house. But am wanting to then wrap the whole thing with one or two inch
rigid foam in order to have insulation around the framing. The exterior
shell of insulation was recommended in THE PASSIVE SOLAR HOUSE as critical
to efficient heating and cooling. I am wondering if you would want to put a
moisture barrier between the padobe in fill and the insulation. I was also
considering putting wood slats on the outside and attaching the foam to that
so as to create an air space. "Breathable" keeps coming up in discussions as
important, but I'm not sure I understand that concept.