Cob: poured countertops

Charmaine R Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Tue Oct 16 21:17:41 CDT 2001

Dear Dubya (W)-

I have been experimenting with clay and lime, and have gotten such
sturdy results I AM going to do a poure- in-place SMALL counter top on a
side cabinet.

I have been talking about the poured cement ones, but with a clay/adobe
only you are going to have probems with grease, water and pressure- from
heavy pots and such..a solid mud counter is not a good long term idea I
think.  But when you add lime to clay you get Roman cement, an early
form of Portland cement, and I currently have large outdoor pottery
bowls which hold water, and other objects that don't errode at all, and
are as strong feeling as stone.  So that is my 'green"choice.

it's the lime of course giviing he stone -like surface, and the clay
makes it easy to spread and bond.  so for all the green concerned
folks,    i'd say try that.

a 30/70 lime clay with fiber is needed..I used just shredded paper for
my bowls..no cracks, splits, or soggy parts, even after a year outside
holding rainwater, frogs, etc...:>  But to have the courage to actually
build it into the kitchen..well, that's why I want to do a small counter
first before comitting to the whole project.

Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
http://www.northcoast.com/~tms