Cob: RE: coming to terms... was...ARE OUR NATURAL BUILDING IDEAS CAST IN STONE??? etc...

Vicki Wicker vcwicker at asub.arknet.edu
Wed Oct 24 09:53:53 CDT 2001

Pat,
We had volkswagen bugs and busses for years under the premise that the
hubby could fix them himself when they broke down. Which was true. He could
do just about anything to it except a total rebuild. Unfortunately, that's
what he did almost on a weekly basis. Fixed something wrong with it. We
finally figured out we could go buy a decent used car for not much more
than an old bug, drive it for a few years until it just gave up the ghost
or something went wrong that would cost more to fix than the thing was
worth. I bought a toyota pickup for 2000 about three years ago, already had
100000 miles on it, but we've driven it all this time now with almost no
repairs. Plus it has AIR CONDITIONING. And gets as good a mileage as our
bugs ever did.
We've got to continue to look for the balance. True, concrete isn't a
"green" product. But if you build a house on a gravel footing and it needs
constant repairs or it falls down around your ears, have you gained much?
Plus, personally I don't want to live in a shack. One of my favorite
stories in the Bible is when the woman pours the oil on Jesus' head and
some of the disciples complain that the money should have been given to the
poor instead. Jesus tells them to basically "lighten up", you can't fix the
world. It's okay to do something nice for yourself or each other every once
in a while.