Cob: Formal Proposal

Pack McKibben gakayaker at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 26 11:19:26 CDT 2001

Pack McKibben
Northeast Georgia

Subject: Proposal
I need help putting together a Formal Proposal for
design and construction of six Natural Built shelters
to be used by campers in a Campground setting.  One
Cob, Cordwood, Strawbale, Wattle & Daub, Clay Slip,
and Papercrete Shelter.  Each to be approximately 10’
x 10’ x 8’ in size, with roof, one door, and three
windows.  The proposal will also include labor and
materials.

My Background:
I’ve become interested in alternative building within
the last year and a half.  I’ve taken one workshop
with Cob Cottage Company on basic cob construction.  I
plan on taking a cordwood construction workshop in the
spring.  I’ve been reading and doing research on the
internet about sustainable living, passive solar
design and other green/natural building techniques
that include cob, cordwood, clay slip, wattle and
daub, Papercrete, and earthship design.  I’d call
myself a neophyte.  All book learning and not much
hands on experience.  All this interest and research
because I’ve had a vision of finding land and building
a natural built home.  I’m still looking for the land.
 If and when I do find land,   I figured I could build
small shelters as a way to learn the craft, experiment

with different techniques, and then, MAYBE:
1).  Be able to rent them out as a way to make a
living, or
2).  Have a place for natural build workshops, and/or
3).  Be able to build a Campground/Natural
Build/Education Center

Here’s my Problem:
After looking and pricing land I realized I have the
budget for a few acres but the project requires a lot
more.  Zoning is also a problem, but I wont go there
right now.  So I went to plan “B”.  Which is finding
someone to let me use their property to build my
natural built shelters (thanks for the idea Ianto).
To try to make a long story short, I came across a
Director of a local State Park who told me about their
pending expansion of their campground.  From six to
over three hundred acres!  I told him about my idea of
a community campground – sustainable living concept
and he REALY liked the idea!  So much so that he wants
me to give him a formal proposal.  It needs to include
the type of shelter to be constructed, how long each
would take to be constructed, and an estimated cost of
materials.  I presume all this so he can figure a
cost/payback ratio.  I’m WAY over my head in this
situation.  I’ve NEVER done a proposal.  I feel I can
handle the community campground portion of the
proposal.  I need help with the shelter construction
details (labor and materials).

Solution:
I need a BUNCH of help!  I do have passion and desire.
 And I’ve learned over the years that as long as you
have an open mind and a clear, focused goal, anything
is possible!  So here’s what I need (and I need it as
soon as possible) from all those who can help:
PROPOSALS: If anyone has done a proposal for a grant.
This type proposal would probably fit my need.  I know
some people have been building at schools as a project
for students to learn Natural building (etc.).  If a
proposal was required, I sure would like to see one.

LABOR:  An idea of how long it takes to build a
shelter of Cob, Cordwood, Strawbale, Papercrete, ETC.
should be based on how long it takes two workers
To build a 10’x 10’ x 8’ shelter, with roof, one door
and three windows.

MATERIALS:  Total materials list:  Timber, Lumber,
infill, tonnage, volume, etc.  Everything it takes to
build a Cob, Cordwood, etc. shelter/building based on
the same labor benchmarked building requirements.

TOTAL COST:  I hope each shelter can be built for lass
than $ 500.00 for total labor and matericals.  What do
you think?  Can this be done?  Is this realistic?

SPECIFICATIONS: Drawings of shelters/buildings, Views:
Front, Side, Top;
measurements, details.  I realize this info may be few
and far between.

PICTURES: of any small shelters/buildings you’ve
built.  Cob, Cordwood, Strawbale, Papercrete, Wattle &
Daub, Clay Slip, ETC.
Any I use as examples for my proposal will be credited
the sender and/or builder.

FORGOT:  Things I’ve left out!  If I leave it out it’s
because I don’t know it.  So tell me if there’s more I
need to include.

GROUP:  Anyone who knows how to help me set up a
discussion group for this specific proposal.  I don’t
want to over tax on-going post that are more subject
oriented.  My plan is to post this ONE message on each
Cob, Cordwood, Strawbale, and Papercrete (and
any/others you think might be appropriate) Group/List
and ask for anyone interested in helping, to use
direct email to me, or to use the NEW proposal group
for future post (if I figure out how to set one up).

*******  	I’ll provide a URL to the group (in the near
future) so any interested persons, contributing
parties, and/or individuals who want to learn about
Natural Building, can read the in-progress proposal
*******

Thanks for any help…

I hope everyones help will not go for naught…

=====
Pack McKibben
gakayaker at yahoo.com