Cob: Interesting proposal

Jeff S. jlsmeed at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 30 19:46:40 CST 2001

My name is Jeff and I work for a residential
developer, this past summer I took a week long
workshop and began to try and imagine how cob would
fit into what I do.  As of yet I can't grasp how a cob
house would translate into costs or if it would be
worth the trouble to spend the time with the building
official.  Have any of you out there kept track of the
costs for your house or how long it took.  It almost
seems like the time needed would make it undesirable
to developers.

I can see the realestate market slowing down in the
near future and have a hunch that cob may be a way to
cut some material costs, but, if the savings are lost
to labor then it's a wash.  So, I wonder what a "Cob
Developer" would look like and what advantage is
there?  Maybe, marketing?

take care
Jeff