Cob: Interesting proposal

Matthew HALL(SED) M.Hall at shu.ac.uk
Wed Oct 31 03:07:00 CST 2001

jlsmeed at yahoo.com writes:
>My name is Jeff and I work for a residential
>developer, this past summer I took a week long
>workshop and began to try and imagine how cob would
>fit into what I do.  As of yet I can't grasp how a cob
>house would translate into costs or if it would be
>worth the trouble to spend the time with the building
>official.  Have any of you out there kept track of the
>costs for your house or how long it took.  It almost
>seems like the time needed would make it undesirable
>to developers.
>
>I can see the realestate market slowing down in the
>near future and have a hunch that cob may be a way to
>cut some material costs, but, if the savings are lost
>to labor then it's a wash.  So, I wonder what a "Cob
>Developer" would look like and what advantage is
>there?  Maybe, marketing?
>
>take care
>Jeff
Dear Jeff,

I am a research scientist at Sheffield Hallam University (UK) and i am studying the physical &
mechanical properties of earth construction that is reinforced with natural fibres, e.g. straw,
sisal etc. The main aim of my project is to develop the technology for assisting the housing crisis
in the 3rd world but it has become apparent to me that earth construction is also the way forward
for sustainable developments in countries like the US, UK, Australia etc where a renaissance is
taking place.

Are you aware that an adobe house, using mechanical plant to manufacture the blocks, can with the
help of about 12 men erect a single story house in about 2 days. The walls are incredibly thick and
have a very high degree of thermal mass, therefore giving a thermal flywheel effect and great
comfort for the occupants.

Earth building can be made anywhere - there are some cob buildings in rainy england that are over
200 years old, and some that i know of personally in Australia that withstood the devastation of
cyclone Tracy a few years back when all the houses built with timber etc collapsed! In Australia,
20 % of new build is done with earth construction now and building regs are starting to incorporate
it accordingly.

>From my point of view there is a great deficit in the UK where we are not really a part of this
great revolution. Any research in the past has focused on cob as a quaint, country cottage
tradition with nothing more to offer than curious fascination. Hopefully my research will be able
to prove in scientific and engineering terms the viability of various earth construction methods
for sustainable development.

My programme of research is for a 3year PhD in the subject and i plan to publish widely. Are you
and the company you represent interested in becoming a part of this and perhaps helping to
instigate the UK branch of this new-build earth revolution for the future?

Regards

Matthew Hall

Centre for the Built Environment
School of Environment & Development
Sheffield Hallam University
Unit 9 Science Park
Howard Street
Sheffield S1 1WB
England

Tel: +44 (0) 114 225 3244
Fax: +44 (0) 114 225 3206
E-mail: (work) M.Hall at shu.ac.uk
E-mail: (home) Matt at Hall2000.fsnet.co.uk