Cob: Re: Re: Re: Time and cost?

chita jing edfan at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 31 09:49:27 CST 2001

    Affordability is THE hinge issue, IMHO, just as temperament is more
important than good health in dogs. Who wants a bad dog that lives forever?

    If the house is not affordable, it will not be built. Affordability was
always the prime mover in alternative building, just as it has been with any
other housing. Not every alternative builder has affluenza and uses building
green to get over it. Some of us live in countries where the average monthly
salary is $300. Others are tired of the rat race and don't want payments.
Still others like the academic exercise of making affordable housing. Then
there's also the faction that wants cheap housing because it feels great to
be free of high mortgage payments, say to move to Tahiti for a year if we
feel like it, knowing we can rent the building out for income that will not
only pay the taxes, it will give us a living as we wander the beaches
building memories. Living beneath one's means is an excellent way to free up
capital for things like great schools for our kids, art, free time, medical
care for aging parents, charitable giving, working where we WANT instead of
feeling forced to take a higher paying job in the coal mine -- name your own
wish list.

    I can't think of one good thing about paying too much for a house,
actually.