Cob: Re: Thanks for interesting responses

Frances Grill grill at vtc.net
Thu Nov 1 05:46:30 CST 2001

Jeff, I think your closing comments are really significant.But first I
appreciate the fact that your rendered unfinished thoughts for the list to
think about and help you build on (pun intended). In fact this is probably
one of the blessings of earth construction   ie. the input from community.
Using cob as an example for all earth friendly building, this type of
construction is SLOW relatively speaking. Consequently` there is more down
time than with commercial construction so there is more time for thinking
and communing with your work team. I've worked on straw bale, rammed earth,
and fibercrete and adobe projects and have been amazed at how people just
passing by stopped out of curiosity, and ended up helping. This is more than
house building, it is community building. Also earth friendly houses attract
earth friendly people so often the discussions involve more than the ecology
of dwelling. I've seen more than one community garden sprout up from a house
raising.These projects frequently don't involve power tools so they are
quieter creating a more peacefu work space. So Jeff, the question of "what a
cob community would look like is as relevant as what a cob house would look
like but unfortunatly gets less emphasis. Keep thinking. PAZ, Pedro