Cob: Re: Earth Floor!

Vicki Wicker vcwicker at asub.edu
Fri Nov 2 10:10:36 CST 2001

At 12:59 AM 11/2/01 -0800, dtebb wrote:
>Hi Patricia,
>
>Just a short note of caution. It is important to have a much higher
>porportion of sand in your floor mix. Sand is what make floors and cob
>hard. I have heard of some people who have had problems with their floors
>being too soft. I suspect their mix has too much clay. I put just enough
>clay in to stick the sand together, but no more. You would be surprised at
>how little clay you need. My floor is rock hard but I haven't dropped
>anything yet to really test it out.

Also less cracks. My first floor had quite a few largish cracks. I pushed
up the sand content and my second room had only one or two small hair line
cracks. I'll probably try to add even a little more. Also slowing down the
drying time will help minimize cracks, but shouldn't be a problem this time
of year unless you're running a wood heater in the room.