Cob: Earth Floor!

Ocean ocean at peacemaking.org
Sat Nov 3 02:51:06 CST 2001

> Yes Darel I think you are are a  little bit confused. Your email is an
> odd mix of explaining what you read....and then advice on how to do it.
>
> A wet cobwood mix stabilized with lime and ash as I described shrinks
> very little.  It's thick like dough and is poured and trowel into place.
>
> There is a big difference from reading about how to do something from a
> theoretical point of view, and actually doing it.   I do a lot of
> research and reading myself, but nothing makes up for trying something
> and watching its performance over time. You should see the boxes of
> sample bits I have!

Charmaine, I'm sure you've done a lot of experimenting, but I don't think
this entitles you be condescending or demeaning to others on the cob
listserv.  We are all experimenting and learning about materials which are
not researched well...this listserv enables us to share ideas freely.

> Typically we don't slake our own lime here in the States, it is already
> slaked, and hydrated, and is simply soaked in clean water before use. I
> could complain that it isn;t as good as fresh slaked, but since I never
> get to use freash slaked, then it's a moot point, but the Brits who
> visit don't like our lime I hear.

Contrary to common belief (as stated to me by Ianto Evans et al), quick lime
is available in "the States".  I found it through a simple internet search,
which first directed me to a chemical manufacturer, who referred me to a
distributor, who then suggested I contact an end user, Simplot, just a few
miles away.  I bought 4 bags at $30 each.  The distributor also suggested
food processors, such as Kettle Foods, who use quick lime in making corn
chips (!)

Slaking quick lime is an exciting endeavor, and should be done carefully.  I
put the lime in a galvanized garbage can, then added water.  This sputtered
and gave of an nasty smell, and got so hot it burned the grass under the
can.  Kiko suggests filling the can with water, then adding the lime.
However, we haven't tried this, so if anyone has done this with success, I'd
like to know.

BTW, I've been told you don't want to use "fresh slaked" lime...the longer
slaked lime sits (lime putty), the better it will be for application.  This
is in contrast to the typical hydrated builders lime, which deteriorates in
quality because it has been dried out after hydration.