Cob: Re: earth floors

SANCO Enterprises, LLC chansey at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 5 06:26:29 CST 2001

Carla,

I have limited experience with stucco mixes and application.  We have others
on the list who could offer much better advice.

As for cracking and peeling of any material, it is that the materials did
not bind or meld together.  Cracking can be from too much moisture or
movement in the base material.  Peeling can be any number of things, such as
impurities between applications, not wetting the prior layer, top coat not
bonding with the base material  or the softer material trapping moisture or
vapor causing the top layer to "peel" off.

Natural building presents some additional challenges that are not found in
manufactured building systems.  When applying cementitious material to earth
or straw, there is a natural bond break between the materials--they simply
don't want to bond together.  Straw has more keying points and will allow
the stucco or plaster to get a better grip.  Cob would be second best as you
have a very uneven and rough surface to work with.

SANCO Enterprises, LLC
Paul Salas, General Manager
P.O. Box 45741
Rio Rancho, NM  87174