Cob: earth floors

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Mon Nov 5 23:46:02 CST 2001

Thanks for the explanation.

"E. McCreery" wrote:

> PVA is "poly vinyl acetate". Also known as "white glue". Elmer's is a
> popular brand.
>
> Eli

Gut, at least when I was a kid, Elmer's glue was not water proof.  It
would turn white and start to return to its gluey state when wetted for
a period of time.  I remember I used it to repair a baseball bat in
elementary school.

I wonder how real glue would work.  By real I mean that obtained from
boiling dead horse's, cow's, etcs., bones, claws, etc..   I think that
was how Elmer's glue was originally made.

There is also a natural wheat paste, that can be made I wonder how that
would work.
But I don't think that this would be waterproof.

In Taiwan I've read they used something like a honey mixture to mix into
the lime-mud.
Haven't seen anything about it's performance though.

Darel