Cob: Re: earth floors

Steve Lewis seaweedsteve at newmexico.com
Mon Nov 5 20:03:28 CST 2001

Matthew:

I have used an acylic sealer, which I believe is similar to PVA glue,  with
mud.   The product I used is a mexican sealer, ( "5X1 Sealer")  comes white,
dries clear, and nearly glue thick, dilutes with water and makes 6 times
what you bought.  It is for sealing the surface of adobes, fired adobes or
concrete blocks prior to painting.

Mixing this with adobe plaster made a hard water resistant material.  I used
it to shape the surface of poured concrete. It looks like dirt but is much
more water resistant.  It actually sticks and stays better on concrete than
on adobe bricks.  Being dissimilar to the normal earth material, it tends to
come off at the bond when placed over earth.  Very useful material.

Steve